Reflection Week 8

As our class ends, I reflect upon my first paper regarding my personal theory. This is the first time I feel I have grasped this idea and understood it with the support of the professional resources from this class. It is not that I had some sort of idea however, our class brought my vague understand to a clearer picture. I thoroughly enjoyed Dr. Orey and his discussions throughout the course. Dr. Orey presented the information in a manner, which I could relate to, and learn how to apply my methods into the classroom. I feel I have a strong foundation in my personal theory and have added to my understanding as I worked through the course. I will continue to use many of the old and new tools I have learned about within the classroom. I am excited to create and environment which supports maximum learning. Last week we started school and I was excited to apply my new found knowledge to my students’. I felt I was empowered and ready to pass this gift of learning in the following year. I began by setting up my classroom differently and reflected upon how I teach. I am excited to pass additional “power” more often to my students’ in their learning process.

Along with setting up my classroom, I have centered my technology tools to be used everyday. In using the document camera in my lessons and using websites such as Grooveshark I feel I am planting the seeds to a great year of learning. My colleagues and I have been collaborating the use of the Smartboards in many of our lessons. We will have our students use Flip cameras on our field trip next week to downtown Fairbanks. I look forward to working toward creating the puppet play with the support of Photo Booth in recreating a timeline of Fairbanks History. In utilizing these tools, students will have multitude of opportunities to learn the information. I firmly believe handing students technology will support and enhance their understanding. I know as an educator it has supported my schooling and growth.

Goals are something I set on a daily basis. How I can enhance, change, bring to or develop stronger lessons within my teaching. I think all teachers are evolving their lessons to best support the needs for their students’. In thinking about a long-term goal, I definitely want to embrace technology and the changes it brings. I want to have an open perspective and always have a go at new and upcoming tools. In doing so I need to be educated through classes, colleagues, readings, and other resources. I also need the resources in attaining new tools to use in the classroom. I feel continuing my education through Walden is assisting in meeting this goal along with professional development within my school. The second goal I have is to continue to pass the power to my students’. This is going to be achieved by updating my lessons and continue to drive student-based activities. Less teacher talking from myself and more student talking within the classroom! My instructional practices will need to be adjusted in a positive manner and I look forward to creating new and improved ones.

I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have learned in this course. I feel more confident and ready to present new and student friendly ideas in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I share your feelings about what you have learned. This Masters program has exposed me to a lot of great ideas and has given me a greater appreciation of my students´ digital world. It has been overwhelming at times, but I have learned a lot. It has given me more of a passion to infuse technology into the curriculum. I have to learn more and use the technology to keep up with my students and their world.

    Pauline Branker

    ReplyDelete