21st Century Website

As I reviewed the resources for this week and explored the 21st website I am curious. I was not aware of all this discussion for the readiness for students. I think maybe I tend to stay in a comfy bubble here in North Pole, Alaska. Although I know there are bigger and better information out there, I feel I meet the needs of my students daily. I am up to par with new and current information, however just when I think I got it.. there is more. I do realize technology is evolving daily if not by the minute. It can be hard to adjust your view so far out into the future. Just today I attended a training regarding career readiness for my students. Although this was geared toward sixth grade, it was brought to our attention it affects all of us, primary included. It can be hard to see the "whole" picture at times. I feel by learning about this website and understand the need to advicate for all students to be ready for the future. It was interesting to read about the U.S. Dept. plan for technology and the framework. I found the graphic rainbow a clear picture of what is foreseen for students to meet and the support then need. I look forward to learning more about this topic and how I can address my students in my classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Mrs. B.,
    I also did not know of this website until this class. My district talks about 21st Century skills all of the time, but they have not really defined what skills they mean. This site was very helpful in that the framework clearly lists what they are expecting our students to learn. The graphic rainbow was very easy to understand and demonstrated how the skills all fit together. I was a bit saddened to see that my state, California, had not joined the partnership. How do you feel about Alaska not participating? It seems to me that every state should be involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. B,

    I have also never seen this website before, but I found it quite helpful. The website broke up the framework for 21st century skills, so that it was very easy for anyone to follow and understand. My state, New York, as well as yours, were not on the list of participating states, but I feel that since this was my first time seeing this website, there must be a lot of other teachers throughout that haven't seen it either. I think that this partnership is very important for our students and it's my hope that more and more teachers get involved with this, so that each state is a committed partner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I thought I did a pretty good job preparing my students for the future, but we as educators should make it our duty to use the tools they may be using in the future.

    I can imagine living in Alaska is much like where I live, Montana, we are not always up to date on the new tools, and are just learning how to use the old tools to accommodate our students. We must just do our best to try and keep up with the new trends so our students at least have a chance to experience the new technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like it that most of us were unaware of this site. Along with that we all feel that we are doing our best to meet the needs of our students. By no means do I feel that we should take the blame soley. I think why we are not all fully aware of what we need to do is becuase the lack of resources given to us as educators. If we all had computers in our room for our children to use would this even be a discussion? It would be a norm I believe. Like all of you I think it is a great site with a great plan.

    ReplyDelete