Blogging in 3rd Grade!
A class blog is an opportunity for educators and students to communicate with others in an academic setting. The idea of blogging in the classroom I believe would be beneficial to my students. I have taught third grade for eight years and have been part of the Reading First program. In our program our student focus highly in the area of reading elements. I find students either love reading or dislike reading in many cases. I strive each year to introduce strategies for my students who struggle and keep the interest for my students who are advanced. This program is wonderful, however I believe by giving my students the chance to discuss their reading interesting and comments with others would be supportive. If I were to set up blogging I would incorporate the smart board to get the class interested. By doing this students would have a visually and see the benefits of sharing their ideas and comments. I would encourage students to start thinking about what they feel, think, and give opinions about the literature they are reading. I feel then students could have a personal ownership of sharing, questioning, or reading about other students thoughts. In our classroom we also do a reading aloud time. Every year we read a series which the students love. I would think blogging would be another way student to express their predictions, thoughts, and comments. I am excited in the fact this is another tool as an educator to use within the classroom to connect to the world!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love the idea of incorporating a blog with reading. My concern is how to encourage those students who feel pressure or anxiety over reading because they are slow readers, or when they read, they don't comprehend what they read. Maybe, as a part of the blog, you could have students add their comments and "color" key words they identified in the reading. Maybe the students could highlight these words in their books (if possible) and then when they go to contribute to the blog, they can refer back to and use these words to describe what they read. ~Shanna Falgoust
ReplyDelete