Cognitivism in Practice

In my own learning process of cognitive learning, I will continue to absorb and filter through the theories presented in our resources. As an educator, I am feeling more prepared and knowledgeable about how to prepare students to access information through a variety of tools and strategies. In reading Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, it introduced new and useful ways to incorporate technology within learning. The importance to create a focus for students to envelop a new concept or idea will support in retaining information. In using word processing, spreadsheets, organizers and brainstorming, and multimedia, classrooms gain important tools to further the new found knowledge. This extension of their knowledge displays their understanding in a technological presentation. The ability to bring examples enhances the further development in understanding. In applying advanced organizers, students will benefit in higher-level thinking.

As a third grader teacher summarizing is discussed and practiced throughout the year. It is significant for “teachers work on helping students separate important information from extraneous information and state the information in their own words.” (Pg. 119) This at times can be a tedious for students to comprehend and apply in the classroom. After reviewing the recommendations for summary assistance, I found more efficient ways to support my students’. When teaching younger students, I feel the visual images are very beneficial. The graphic Figures displayed in our resources, are very similar to the program we use at our school. It supports students understanding and makes the connection between the information and how to organize their thoughts. The recommendation of using “rule-based summarizing” (Pg 121) is essential to stay focused on the vital information. I feel by keeping the information-focused students will retain and be able to apply in a technology-based practice.

In teaching Fairbanks History, Virtual Field Trips play a huge role in introducing our city. The website tool has opened doors to places students and educators have never been. The opportunity when clicking a button and transported to the place you are learning about creates a higher level of understanding. In our resources, we have analyzed the importance of creating lessons, which make an imprint and connection to the student. To create an “Episodic Memory” (Laureate Education, Inc.) as Dr. Orey explains holds true to making that connection to the information presented. Technology has evolved where we can go anywhere, see anything, and understand the world we live in today. Students are more engaged have a clearer picture or image of what we as educators are explaining to them. In using Virtual Field Trips, we put learning more into the students hands.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Cognitive Learning Theories. (Motion Picture)

4 comments:

  1. Mrs. Blankenship,

    Virtual field trips are a great tool for the classroom. It is tough (not to mention expensive) to take a lot of field trips throughout the year, but by teaching students about virtual field trips, they are able to experience more, without leaving the classroom.

    I have found that when teaching about different natural events, virtual field trips are one of the best tools to use. It is hard to teach about tornadoes and hurricanes, living in upstate New York, but with the use of virtual field trips, my students are able to experience these events.

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Blakenship,
    First of all great post. Next, I am a high school math teacher and am not familar with virtual field trips and think they will be a great asset in my classroom. Hopefully this will give my students a clearer pictured as it did yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Blakenship,
    Have you ever had the students take a virtual field trip where they get to interact with students from another city, state or country? If so,what was the experience like for your students? If not,do you think this is something your elementary students might enjoy doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shanna~I have done field trips online however in interacting with other students, no I have not. The only thing I can think of is when my students' work online with others when practicing math facts. I would like to incorporate this tool with my students being we live in North Pole, Alaska and to have a pen pal type of activity. I feel this opens a huge door in connecting with others from around the world.

    ReplyDelete