In third grade, students are highly excited each year for the Science Fair at our school. This is a chance to display their knowledge and to share with peers their newfound findings in a variety of ways. The constructionist learning theory is shown in this instance as students are building and creating a Science Fair project. The idea of supporting students and help facilitate the final outcome is highly empowering for students. The project-based tool is beneficial in the process of beginning and ending a Science Fair Project. Students are equipped with the necessities by the educator however; the students are the one paving the path to their own educational discoveries. In discussing with my students’ how the Science Fair process begins, the concept of Hypotheses is a key in starting their own project. I empower them with the tools to search out ideas to research and opportunities to act upon discovering the outcome of their questions. In supporting them in generating ideas, I hope to give them confidence in their own learning power and think for themselves. The ability for students to express their thoughts and discoveries are important. The development of an idea or theory can be supported through technology in a variety of ways. When encouraging students to problem solve and investigate, they are able to carry out exploring in their own hands. In the examples discussed in our resource book, Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, it describes the ways in which technology has impacted this process. It is stated “technology can play a vital role in generation and testing hypotheses because of new developments in probeware and interactive applets allow students to spend more time interpreting the data rather than gathering the data-a process that can be tedious and error prone.” (Pg 203) Students can use technology to understand their research in a manner in which the can interact and be engaged. In upper level grades, these tools are highly beneficial to organize student data. The use of spreadsheet software has visual impact as well as being used more in the classroom. In lower grades, classroom spreadsheets could be used as a whole group activity. In our math, program data is used in many lessons. The ability to use technology would be a great tool for visual learning students.
The resources provided in this chapter are one to take note of as an educator. I look forward to accessing these websites in order for my students’ to learn about the world of predictions and coming to a conclusion. I thought the simulation software would be exciting for students. As stated in our resources, “Simulation software also can provide incredibly engaging learning environments, resulting in increase motivation and retention in learning.” (Pg 213)
In the theories presented this week, I understand that we can construct our own learning and how we go about doing this in our brain. The tools we present to our students’ are vital in their development. When students have the availability to construct and build artifacts, they are demonstrating the understanding in a physical way. As an educator, the importance of knowing mechanisms of learning supports the ways we create our lessons. The connections we can create for our students will support them in their development of understanding the world around them. In doing so we are able to give them the tools through technology to discover, explore, research, and find the answers to their questions. I feel I have a greater insight in how my students’ learn in the classroom.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Cognitive Learning Theories. (Motion Picture)
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
Mrs. B,
ReplyDeleteScience fairs are great way to practice generating and testing hypotheses.
Also the webpages, spreadsheet software, data collecting software, and webquest all will be a valuable resource when conducting a science fair. I enjoyed the real life practice connection with this week's learning.
Jennifer
Mrs B,
ReplyDeleteThe science fair sounds like a wonderful opportunity for your students and a great example of an inquiry-based learning project. I really like the ideas you presented in your last paragraph. I think it is a great summary of what we have been learning about throughout the class and I agree that having a better understanding of how our students learn and make connections is so important for us to understand.
Mrs. B,
ReplyDeleteThe science fair is a fabulous example of constructionist learning theory because students create an artifact that they share and present. Do you create science fair projects at school or are they a home project? I often worry that science fair projects done at home are not done by the student, but by the parents. I was just wondering if you found this to be true at your school as well. It is sad that students miss out on such a wonderful learning opportunity.
Our text this week addresses generating and testing hypotheses easily for science and math. This seems straight forward. However, it also says that this strategy can be used for any subject area. I do not feel confident on how to apply this strategy in other areas yet. Do you have any suggestions or examples?
I believe that your science fair allowed you to be a facilitator since the students had to research and come up with their own information. It is so fun as an educator when students are hungry to learn. Nice job with information that this lesson presented.
ReplyDelete