Behaviorism in Practice

In supporting students to acknowledge their own achievements and effort, we as educators can bring to them the use of technology to assist in meeting their goals. It is stated “research tells us that not all students realize the importance of effort.” (Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007) pg 156) In assisting students to make the connection between effort and success, it is imperative to present ways in which students can practice upon what they have learned. Educators can implement many different strategies within the classroom for students to utilize. In creating opportunities for students to grasp, they then can take accountability for their own learning. When students work to master and track their own gain and successes they are able to see the effort and the impact it makes in their education. In taking part in this practice, their effort is reinforced and the sense of responsibility holds true in their active learning process. When students are able to understand the importance of practicing upon a concept, they are hoped to gain more enrichment from this activity. When “addressing their attitudes and beliefs about learning” (Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007) pg 155) it can create a connection, which will impact their future successes.

When students practice and look upon concepts they have learned, it creates an opportunity to ingrain their knowledge. Technology plays a huge role in discovering new opportunities to practice and drill their new found awareness of concepts. This is an important reinforcement for instant feedback for students to be aware of their successes. When students extend the learning process at home, they are able to review and apply their knowledge in a variety of media. The examples discussed in our resource Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, explores the many opportunities for students to enhance their learning. When having a multitude of ways to revisit a concept a student is more apt to have a greater understanding of what they learned. By doing these instructional strategies and putting them into the hands of our student’s we are creating an opportunity for instant feedback and reinforcement. This is a powerful tool to extend to your families to work at home and work together to gain a goal toward proficiency in our schools. I believe the strategies and instruction do relate to behavioral learning theory in classrooms past, present and future.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

4 comments:

  1. Mrs. B, I agree with your stance on why homework is important. I have a problem of my students not giving enough effort to complete their homework. Do you have any suggestions on how I could improve my students effort?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeffery,

    I too value homework. However, like you have mentioned, students often do not put effort into homework. I believe it's because many times homework are closed repetition of what they have learned before, thus, does not create any excitement. Also, I have seen many teachers who look at homework lightly; grading only for completion. If I were the student, I don't think I would put effort in homework if my teacher were not putting effort giving me feedback for it.
    I'm sure this is a common and widely used suggestion, but here it goes anyways. I believe the best way to increase effort into homework is to create exciting homework and provide proper feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I think one of the things that hit me the most this week was that research has shown that students don't necessarily make the connection between effort and success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeffery~In regards to suggestions about homework it can be difficult. In third grade, we have math homework every night. I found many students felt homework was not a big deal thus didn't put in the effort. I don't think many of them realize what goes on behind the scene of a teacher. I often explain to them the importance, why, and the expectations of homework. I tell them you put the effort into to completing the homework I put in the effort of grading, commenting, and encouraging your hard work. I believe homework is life skill, a skill of completing something independently and returning in a timely manner. Homework is not supposed to be a drag but an extension of their learning and practice. I do feel incorporating websites into their homework has been beneficial. Technology is opening many doors to my students and their drive and effort has begun to slightly increase. Luck to you!

    ReplyDelete